The Sutherland & Caithness Railway opened from Helmsdale to Wick and Thurso on 28th July 1874 which was the final section of the line and connected Caithness to the rest of the Britain. In 28th July 1884 the company was incorporated into the Highland Railway.
During the 19th century the harbour at Lybster was very important for the booming herring fishery. The Wick and Lybster light railway was built to transport herring landed a Lybster to Wick where it would be exported. The Wick and Lybster Light Railway opened on 1st July 1903. At a little over 22 km it was the last of the highland railway network to open. Starting from Wick Station the train stopped at Thrumster, Ulbster, Mid Clyth and Occumster on the way to Lybster. Unfortunately by the time the line was opened the fishery was already in decline.
In January 1923, Highland Railway merged with the London Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS). Its services were expanded on 27th January 1936 when request halts were opened at Welsh’s Crossing, Roster Road and Parkside.
After serving the community for 70 years The Wick to Lybster Light Railway was closed on 3rd April 1944 as a wartime economy. The main cause of closure was the decline in use of the facility due to the increase
LMS was nationalised along with all the other privately owned railways on 1st January 1948 being known as part of British Railways. During this period Thrumster Station Building was being used as a Post Office. Although the Station had closed, a Goods Receiving Office was established in the Station Building by the Executive of British Railways and used as a collection points for goods, which were sent from in and around Thrumster down the line by road. Mrs. Isa Ferguson was appointed as their Agent for the collection and consignment of parcels as well as being the Post Mistress.
The building and land was sold back to the Thrumster Estate in 1963 when the Petrol station was built, with the Building being used as the office for a Caravan site on the land.
This was later sold to Mr. Kenny Stewart, who sold this piece of land and the building to the Yarrows Heritage Trust in 2002.