The Wick and Lybster Light Railway opened on 1st July 1903. At a little over 22 km it was the last of the Highland railway network to open. Starting from Wick Station the train stopped at Thrumster, Ulbster, Mid Clyth, Occumster on the way to Lybster.
Since the railway closure the station building, a small timber structure, has had a chequered history, gradually deteriorating in condition.
In 2005 the trust purchased Thrumster Railway Station with the intention of renovating the Station for use as an information point for the area and to create a community garden from the derelict sidings. To date we have completed the renovation of the station platform and sidings to create the community garden.
Funding the project was a perennial problem; initially it was only possible to purchase the building and sidings and complete the platform and community garden; funded by Forward Scotland; funds being insufficient to renovate the station building.